Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Dark Tower - Old School Reminiscing

This is just a random bit of verbal spewage. I've pretty much been playing games since man first figured out how to connect a controller to a TV. Ok, that dates me a bit. But seriously, I used to play Pong at my grandparent's apartment clubhouse.

Anyway, I was chatting with a friend of mine about the good old days, we'd play games like the Bard's Tale series (Not that joke of a game released in 2005 that sullied the franchise's good name), Gold Box Games like Pool of Radiance, and the like. We'd literally play 24+ hours straight. Good times!

It got me thinking about other computerized gaming and one item that's oft overlooked is Dark Tower, yeah, the board game. Man I can't tell you how many hours I spent playing this as a kid. We were die hard about this game. We'd listen carefully while our opponent played for clues as to if they received a Wizard, or a Sword, or the much needed Keys to the Dark Tower its self. I still to this day can remember the sound effects to this game, the music that plays at the Bazaar is still imprinted in my brain.

At its core though this was one of the more innovative board gaming interfaces of the day, not to mention a crap ton of fun. If you know what I'm talking about you can actually play a single player Flash version of the game HERE. May Dragons fall on your Sword.

Sorry for the random spewage, but felt like reminiscing.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this game! We played it at a friend's one year after the holidays (I was maybe 9 or 10?), and I asked for it for Christmas the next year and got one. My brother, my cousin and I played it until the tower didn't spin anymore, and we'd lost most of the board pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Dark Tower. My parents never got it for me, so I made friends with a kid just so I could play it.

    ReplyDelete