Wednesday, December 29, 2010

COGS!




Man, this game... WTH was I thinking when I bought it?

Always been a fan of puzzle games and this one has its teeth in me pretty hard.

Basically a take on the old slider puzzle games from when you were a kid, this game puts steam pipes, gears and chimes on the sliding pieces which you must then rearrange to solve the puzzle. Simple right? HELL NO! This crap is in a 3d environment and in some cases, moves made on one side of the puzzle affect piece on the opposite side.. SOOOO in some cases you are trying to solve multiple puzzles simultaneously in 3 dimensions.

There are 50 puzzles (51 actually I think if you include the "End Credits" puzzles). These puzzles can be played in 3 ways:

Inventor Mode - no time limit but Gold, Silver and Bronze medals are awarded based on the time it took to solve and number of moves used.

Challenge Mode - Puzzles solved in Inventor Mode are unlocked in this mode. There are 2 categories:
-Timed - You have 30 seconds to solve the puzzle.
-Moves - You have to solve the puzzle in 10 moves or less.

I'm about 15 hours into this game.. I've solved all the Inventor Mode Puzzles, All the Challenge Mode Puzzles (Both Timed and Moves)... and yet the game still haunts me... Why you ask... Those God Damned Steam Achievements!!! I've earned 13 of 18 of these cursed things (as of this post)... with the last 5 being uber-pains in the ass with like 1% or less of people earning these achievements.

Sigh...

Anyway, its a great game if you like puzzle games. Its on Steam and currently bundled with 4 other games (which I haven't even downloaded yet because I'm so obsessed with COGS!) for only $4.99, a price I think that's fair for just Cogs alone.

Watch the vid if you think you may have some interest in this game. Mayhap I'll earn the remaining achievements soon and move on with my gaming life.



PEACE!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that games looks fun and frustrating. Great price. I'll take a look at it.

    Speaking of Steam, these daily holiday deals have me waiting at my laptop at noon every day!

    ReplyDelete